From GalliumOS Wiki
Compatibility and Installation
- Will GalliumOS work on my Chromebook/Chromebox?
- Yes, for most devices. See Hardware Compatibility.
- Haswell, Broadwell, and Bay Trail devices are best-tested. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge devices are also tested.
- ARM devices are not supported, and Atom/Pineview devices are not supported.
- There are a couple of significant open issues on Google Pixel models. Check the Issue Tracker for updates.
- Keyboard mappings? How do I ...
- Media keys and default keybindings
- Touchscreen support?
- GalliumOS uses Xfce, but presently has no additional touchscreen capabilities. Got a loaner device? Let us know! :)
- How do I update the OS and apps?
- GalliumOS 2.0 includes GalliumOS Update in the Launcher menu. It is a simple wrapper around
aptto update installed packages. You will be notified automatically when new software is available.
- Does Minecraft work? Does Steam work?
- Yes and yes. Remember that in most cases, this is not powerful hardware. Minecraft is playable at 30fps on an Acer C720 (2GB Celeron 2955U 1.4GHz), and many Steam titles are playable on the same hardware. A faster processor and additional RAM will improve the experience, as usual.
- See Games and Additional Software for more info and installation recommendations.
- How can I run Flash apps/videos (e.g. Twitch)?
- Flash player is not installed by default. You have a few options, see Additional Software.
- Can I watch Netflix under GalliumOS?
- Absolutely. You'll need Google Chrome. See Additional Software.
- How do I install software package X?
- Some packages are available directly from Ubuntu repositories, and some require a few more steps. See Additional Software.
Security Updates for GalliumOS 1.0
- GalliumOS 1.0 is based on Ubuntu 15.04, which is no longer receiving security updates. Will there be security updates?
Yes, we are porting security updates from newer Ubuntu releases to GalliumOS 1.0.
We will continue to provide security updates for GalliumOS 1.0 until the release of GalliumOS 2.0, which will be based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
- GalliumOS 2.0 has been released, and 1.0 is now deprecated. Upgrade now! See News/GalliumOS_2.0.
- How does battery life compare between GalliumOS and ChromeOS?
- TBD. Watch this space!
- Initial tests show parity with other very lightweight Linux distros, but the comparison against ChromeOS has not been performed yet.
- How much disk space will GalliumOS use?
- A fresh installation of GalliumOS 2.0 requires 2.7GB. This will increase as you install additional software and add personal data.
- How can I contribute?
- Drop into #galliumos so we can create a wiki user account for you.