Welcome to the GalliumOS Wiki
IMPORTANT: Development on GalliumOS has been discontinued, and for most users, GalliumOS is not the best option for running Linux due to lack of hardware support or a kernel that's out of date and lacking important security fixes.
For most (EOL) Chromebooks, the recommended path forward is to:
- put the device into Developer Mode
- disable firmware write protection
- flash MrChromebox's UEFI Full ROM firmware
- install ChromeOS Flex, Linux, etc
See https://mrchromebox.tech and the chrultrabook subreddit for more info
GalliumOS is a fast and lightweight Linux distro made for Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. GalliumOS delivers a complete Linux environment with full hardware support, a carefully tuned kernel, and a full-featured and attractive desktop.
Check our Hardware Compatibility table to determine whether your Chromebook or Chromebox will support GalliumOS.
GalliumOS Nightly Builds (experimental!)
- Why GalliumOS?
- Installing GalliumOS
- Media keys and default keybindings
- Hardware Compatibility
- GalliumOS Media Coverage
- User Forums are hosted on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/
- Discussion happens on IRC Libera.chat #galliumos: https://galliumos.org/irc
- Development happens on GitHub: https://github.com/GalliumOS
- Issues are tracked on GitHub too: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues
We are a small team with a big goal. If you'd like to help with code, design, devops, documentation (including this wiki!), testing and profiling, or anything else, join us in #galliumos or on Reddit. We'd love to meet you!
Editing this wiki
If you would like an account to add or edit pages on the GalliumOS wiki, please get in touch via #galliumos. Thank you.