Media keys and default keybindings
Media keys are accessible with the search+function key combination
The function keys by themselves will map to F1-F10. Function keys are also mapped to Super + Number Row key, where Super + 1 is F1 and Super + = is F12.
Super + Alt. You must press Super before you press Alt. ;) (Super is the key with the magnifying glass on it).
How was this done
Switching Function and Shortcut Key
At the moment, switching the Function Keys and Shortcut Keys (as it is on ChromeOS) is not an easy task.
However, ColtonDRG states that there are plans to make it easier in a future release.
Common key combinations
|F1-F9||[Overlay + 1] - [Overlay + 9]|
|KBD Brightness Toggle||[Overlay + 0]|
|KBD Brightness Down||[Overlay + - ]|
|KBD Brightness Up||[Overlay + = ]|
|Home||[Overlay + Left]|
|End||[Overlay + Right]|
|Page Up||[Overlay + Up]|
|Page Down||[Overlay + Down]|
|Insert||[Overlay + . ]|
|Delete||[Overlay + Backspace]|
|Caps Lock||[Overlay + Alt] (for keyboard maps that use Super as the overlay)|
Note: The overlay key will be different depending on the keyboard map chosen.
The default overlay key for Beta 1 was the Super key (Search). For Beta 2, the overlay key is
the right alt key.
There are five keyboard maps in current nightlies (actually there are a ton, but five that are customized for Chromebooks):
- Chromebook | No overlay | F keys mapped to media keys
- Chromebook | Right alt overlay
- Chromebook | Right alt overlay | F keys mapped to media keys (Default for Beta 2 for Chromebook builds)
- Chromebook | Search overlay (Default for Beta 1)
- Chromebook | Search overlay | F keys mapped to media key
Keyboard maps which include "F keys mapped to media keys" in the description mean that the media keys (the top row of keys)
are media keys without pressing an additional key. To use the media keys as function keys,
you can press the overlay key + the media key.
Keyboard maps that do not include "F keys mapped to media keys" in the description require an overlay key + the
media key to use the media key. Without an overlay key pressed, the media keys are function keys.
Shortcuts specific to the keyboard maps
- Options 1,2,3 open the Whisker Menu when the Super + M keys are pressed
- Options 1,4,5 open the Whisker Menu when the Alt + M keys are pressed
- Options 1,2,3,4,5 will take a screen shot of a window with the keys: Shift+Ctl+Display Media key (5th media key)
- Options 1,2,3,4,5 will take a screen shot of the entire screen with the keys: Ctl+Display Media key (5th media key)
Noteworthy quirk: the settings dialog doesn't always save your selection...it works better if you switch to another tab of the dialog and then back to "Layout" before selecting "Close".