GalliumOS 2.0 "Xenon"
02 July 2016
GalliumOS 2.0 "Xenon" is available for download immediately:
- Downloads, Mirrors, and Torrents: https://galliumos.org/download
A special thanks to everyone who has donated to the GalliumOS project! Your support helps us broaden and deepen GalliumOS support for Chromebook hardware. https://galliumos.org/donate
Thank you also to Ohava for their generous provision of reliable and speedy hosting of the GalliumOS servers! https://ohava.com/
What's New in GalliumOS 2.0
- Upstream Ubuntu 16.04 GalliumOS 2.0 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus), and includes hundreds of updated packages. Ubuntu LTS (long term support) releases receive security and major bugfix updates for five years.
- Updated GalliumOS Packages We have brought all of the GalliumOS packages up to date with upstream sources, and incorporated our customizations and kernel patches for maximum compatibility and performance on Chromebooks and Chromeboxes.
- Linux kernel 4.4.6 Including all GalliumOS patches and performance boosts. Future kernel versions will be available as package updates.
- Software Updater GalliumOS 2.0 will notify you when updated packages are available, and a very simple new app named "GalliumOS Update" is available from the launcher menu to update your system.
GalliumOS installation images can be downloaded from https://galliumos.org/download. You can preview GalliumOS (without installing) from the same image. GalliumOS can be installed in place of ChromeOS, or in a dual-boot configuration alongside ChromeOS. See the GalliumOS wiki for full instructions: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing.
Upgrading From GalliumOS 1.0
If you're already running 2.0beta1, you can update directly to 2.0final by launching GalliumOS Update from the launcher menu (if you're not sure whether you're running 1.0 or 2.0, you can check by running
lsb_release -d from a Terminal window).
From GalliumOS 1.0, we highly recommend a full system reinstall for GalliumOS 2.0. You can use the same method you chose to install GalliumOS 1.0, just be sure to back up your personal data first.
There is also an experimental in-place upgrader, but it does not handle complex system configurations well and is not recommended for most users.
GalliumOS 1.0 is now deprecated. We will no longer be backporting security updates for GalliumOS 1.0, so be sure to upgrade soon!
Known Issues in GalliumOS 2.0
- No audio on CANDY, ORCO with custom RW_LEGACY firmware: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/180
- No audio on SAMUS (has workaround): https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/100
- Network issues on FALCO with 3G WWAN (has workaround): https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/225
- All Issues: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues
Thank you to everyone who has donated to the project, reported issues with previous releases, answered questions on our support forums, helped spread the word to friends and other news sites, or just installed and tested GalliumOS.
We thank you and hope GalliumOS will continue to make your Chromebooks and Chromeboxes more functional and fun.
GalliumOS is a fast and lightweight Linux distribution specifically for Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. GalliumOS delivers a complete Linux environment with full hardware support and an attractive full-featured desktop.
GalliumOS features a touchpad driver customized for Chromebooks, kernel schedulers optimized for the CPUs and SSDs found in ChromeOS devices, and fixes dozens of device-specific bugs. All while requiring less memory and disk space compared to standard Linux desktop environments.
See https://wiki.galliumos.org/About_GalliumOS for more.
- Hardware Support: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
- Downloads: https://galliumos.org/download
- Installing: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing
- FAQ: https://wiki.galliumos.org/FAQ
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/
- IRC: https://galliumos.orc/irc
- Issues: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues