Compatibility and Installation
- Will GalliumOS work on my Chromebook/Chromebox?
- Yes, for most devices. See Hardware Compatibility.
- Haswell, Broadwell, and Bay Trail devices are best-tested. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge devices are also tested.
- ARM devices are not supported, and Atom/Pineview devices are not supported.
- Keyboard mappings? How do I ...
- Media keys and default keybindings
- Touchscreen support?
- GalliumOS uses Xfce, but presently has no additional touchscreen capabilities. Got a loaner device? Let us know! :)
- What about Bay Trail audio?
- Keyboard backlight?
GalliumOS beta1 and beta2 are based on Ubuntu 15.04, which is no longer receiving security updates. Will there be security updates?
Yes, for as long as we support a version of GalliumOS, we will provide the security updates. Our next major version will be based on 16.04, which will receive updates for 5 years.
- How do I update the OS and apps?
- We are in the process of selecting a package manager/Software Center style app for GUI updates.
- You can update from the command line with
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- Beta releases will update to newer betas and to the 1.0 release as they become available.
- Does Minecraft work? Does Steam work?
- Yes and yes. Remember that in most cases, this is not powerful hardware. Minecraft is playable at 30fps on an Acer C720 (2GB Celeron 2955U 1.4GHz), and many Steam titles are playable on the same hardware. A faster processor and additional RAM will improve the experience, as usual.
- See Games and Additional Software for more info and installation recommendations.
- How can I run Flash apps/videos (e.g. Twitch)?
- Flash player is not installed by default. You have a few options, see Adobe Flash.
- Can I watch Netflix under GalliumOS?
- Absolutely. You'll need Google Chrome. See Additional Software.
- How do I install software package X?
- Some packages are available directly from Ubuntu repositories, and some require a few more steps. See Additional Software.
- How does battery life compare between GalliumOS and ChromeOS?
- TBD. Watch this space!
- Initial tests show parity with other lightweight Linux distros, but the comparison against ChromeOS has not been performed yet.
- How much disk space will GalliumOS use?
- A clean new installation of GalliumOS will use somewhere around 3GB on your SSD or HDD. Obviously, it will expand as you install more software and store your personal data.
- How can I contribute?
- Just register a wiki user account! You will be able to edit pages right away. If you need to create new pages, your account needs to be a few days old. Drop into #galliumos if this is causing a problem, we can fix it for you.