GalliumOS is a fast and lightweight Linux distro for ChromeOS devices.
Linux can run many different types of applicatons. No matter what you're trying to do, an application exists for Linux. ChromeOS is very limited. Sure, NaCl (Native Client) brings the ability to run native code to ChromeOS, but that's a hack at best, and there's still no good software to take advantage of it. With Linux you can install any Linux compatible software, totally natively. Firefox, Transmission (BitTorrent), LibreOffice, Steam, VLC Media Player, Kodi Media Center, the GIMP, VirtualBox, and many more are available on Linux to do things that simply aren't possible on ChromeOS.
- Change the desktop's appearance
- Configure the desktop to your liking
- Change the desktop
- Note: the default desktop has many fixes for ChromeOS devices
- Install development tools and write some code
- Replace the kernel with a different version
- The patches we use are here: https://github.com/galliumos/linux-patches
Why GalliumOS as opposed to other Linux distros?
GalliumOS includes optimizations that eliminate system stalls and improve overall responsiveness.
- Alternative kernel schedulers to prevent system stalls
- Removed some services to improve the boot time and reduce memory usage
- Zram for swap, which is a much faster swap than to disk
- Removed unnecessary kernel features/modules
- Compton as the compositor for tear free compositing
- Performs better than enabling Tear Free in the Intel graphics driver
- The kernel watchdog timer has been disabled.
- Disabled HDMI polling (that doesn't prevent HDMI connections from working)
- Reduced the minimum GPU frequency
Integrated ChromeOS mouse driver provides a touchpad experience similar to ChromeOS
Built on Xubuntu
A fast, lightweight, beautiful, and fully functional desktop
For the issues that affect ChromeOS devices and are not found in standard distros