03 February 2017
GalliumOS 2.1beta1 is ready for testing. We look forward to your feedback!
Reddit post: https://redd.it/5ry8h6
A special thanks to everyone who has contributed to the GalliumOS project! Your support helps us broaden and deepen GalliumOS support for Chromebook hardware. All contributors in 2017 will receive a set of GalliumOS stickers! https://galliumos.org/donate
Reminder: There are only a few days left to order GalliumOS t-shirts! Orders close on February 7th. https://teespring.com/galliumos
What's New in GalliumOS 2.1
GalliumOS 2.1 is our first full release with support for Braswell models, Skylake models, and SAMUS (Google Pixel 2).
- New kernels: 4.9.4 (Braswell) and 4.8.17 (all others)
- Fixes for Braswell audio (most models)
- UEFI boot support
- New desktop backgrounds
- Dozens of package updates and bugfixes
GalliumOS 2.1beta1 installation images can be downloaded from https://galliumos.org/releases/2.1/beta. You can preview GalliumOS in a "live boot" from the same image without installing. The GalliumOS wiki has full instructions: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing.
GalliumOS can be installed in place of ChromeOS, or in a dual-boot configuration alongside ChromeOS. For dual-boot installs, see https://chrx.org/. Be sure to include the
-r nightly option in the chrx command line.
See the GalliumOS wiki for full instructions: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing.
Upgrading From GalliumOS 2.0
If you are already running GalliumOS, you can update to the beta release by enabling the "prerelease" repository, and then updating packages:
sudo galliumos-repodist --enable prerelease galliumos-update
galliumos-update, you can run "GalliumOS Update" from the Launcher menu.
When GalliumOS 2.1 is finalized, all packages will be promoted to the "stable" repository and available for download to all users.
NOTE: If package upgrades include
grub-pc, you might be prompted to reinstall the GRUB bootloader. Be sure to install to the disk device only! (usually
/dev/mmcblk0, depending on model).
When updates are complete, reboot your machine.
Works in Progress
We're working to bring full support to all Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. Some parts remain works in progress:
- No audio on some Bay Trail models with RW_LEGACY firmware: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/180
- No audio on Skylake models: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/274
- Slow boot and SDHCI errors on some Bay Trail models with RW_LEGACY firmware: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues/326
- Full list of open issues: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues
If you run into any issues with this or any GalliumOS release, please let us know!
- Hardware Support: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
- Downloads: https://galliumos.org/download
- Installing: https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing
- FAQ: https://wiki.galliumos.org/FAQ
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/
- IRC: https://galliumos.org/irc
- Issues: https://github.com/GalliumOS/galliumos-distro/issues